Pages

Saturday 27 January 2018

A new vlog, about the old "impostor sydrome" feeling

Maybe this deserves a bit of developing in this blog.

It's at the same time quite simple: life gives you lemons and you make lemonade. And also very complex: how to reconcile your expectations and reality when it comes to making anything creative?

I usually express such things better in written word because I can edit things, but I figured I'd give it a go in a video.





There is a point where I wasn't clear enough in the video. I think that your strong points are in the things you enjoy drawing, but just because you enjoy a thing it doesn't mean you'll be good at drawing it. Sometimes things will not happen and that's where frustration can be a bummer.
Illustration is such a vast domain, there is no way you can be good at all of it, it's human, don't beat yourself up about that.

I hear a lot of people, my students, or already established artists who struggle with this, so I hope this is a little encouragement.

EDIT : funny how James Gurney just posted something along the same line to his blog: https://gurneyjourney.blogspot.ch/2018/01/does-ability-to-recognize-faces-help.html





As for myself I am currently trying to find the "voice", the "style" for my next Circadia illustrations. I am a bit disappointed that when I try to be more precise in the storytelling the result is closer to a children book. But that's what I am after all, all of my published books were done for kids.
So how can reconcile the more "epic" illustrations I did and the more "cute" and simple ones of the main storyline? Do I carry on like this or try to unify things?

I think it's also because I have not yet found the final tone of the storytelling. I imagine something with little text and in a voice that is that of a storyteller. See, I don't even know the words for this, I am looking at books like the tales in Sergio Toppi's books, or also Dinotopia by James Gurney. A "voice off" narrator telling the story.  But the tale in the pictures is not yet in tune with this. Maybe I need to try something else but I am not sure what.

It's a learning curve but that's what makes it fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment