Pages

Sunday 10 March 2019

Synesthesia, a model

 It's been ages since I posted here, but now it's more to post about some thoughts now and then rather than new etc

I saw this painting today and asked permission to post it here. This is such a great model of how I see numbers. I can never really explain it but this is as close as it gets.




I never had a diagnosis so I don't know how much is synesthesia and how much is discalculia. But when I see, or think about, numbers I see this. Most numbers have such similar colours that I can't distinguish them clearly, and therefore I get them confused. Some numbers have very distinct colours (like the strips toward the middle) and I instantly memorise them. It's not all like a rainbow, it can have sudden shifts. But then a batch of numbers will "superimpose" like this. So it takes extra concentration to make things out and that creates actual headaches


Daniel Mullen is painting images that translate synesthesia. He doesn't have it himself but he's working with someone that does. I really love all his other paintings, I wish I could see the originals. Here's the Instagram link to his post and to another of these paintings.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtgKyGllHh-/

And his website With the project : https://danielmullen.info/projects

No comments:

Post a Comment