Pages

Friday 28 August 2015

Poll winners and some more thoughts about art

And we have the winners of that poll (see previous posts)!
Tobi and Penny will be getting their cards very soon :)



While I am here I wanted to share this with you:

I've been watching or re-watching (in this case) some TED talks while I work. Always good for the brain and encouraging

If you follow this blog you'll know that I often ponder human nature. And how I don't really understand the whole notion of people identifying with their work. I always felt like it must be awful to feel like that and no wonder it often leads to death.

Then I wonder why I never felt like that. I think that being a biologist helps. And teaching the "Drawing with the Right Side of the Brain" method by Betty Edwards. There is no mystery (sorry to burst the bubble) but it's just then fact that artists use a different part of their brain, one that is not connected to speech and logical thinking, that gives this feeling of strangeness.
We are so used to express everything with words that when something cannot be expressed thus, it feels odd and maybe even scary to some. One more reason why art should be taught to all children and well into adulthood.



Of course that doesn't make the process less amazing and intriguing. I do have moments where I feel frustrated because my skills aren't up to painting what I imagine, or when it doesn't happen at all.
But in the end being creative is what keeps me happy. If it made me miserable I'd probably do something else. And with that I'm off to look for that genie/muse whatever, and wherever it's hiding today

No comments:

Post a Comment